Hair oil takes care of damaged, dull, or non-growing hair. Despite its oily texture, which may seem unpleasant to some, it is recognized for its nourishing, hydrating, and protective virtues. Which hair oil should you choose and how should you apply it? Let's take a look.
What is a hair oil?
Hair oil is a type of lipid that plays a vital role in the cohesion of hair and scalp cells. Indeed, it penetrates deeply into the hair fiber to restructure it. The result? Your hair is shiny and vigorous, yet soft to the touch.
Furthermore, hair oil protects the hair from external aggressions such as pollution or ultraviolet rays. It works by sealing in moisture, thus preventing hair from drying out.
Generally, there are two types of hair oils available on the market: synthetic component hair oil and 100% natural hair oil. The choice depends on the nature of your hair and the result you are looking for.
Which hair oil should you choose?
The selection of a hair oil is based on your hair type and your actual needs. If your hair is colored, opt for hibiscus oil mixed with piqui oil and argan oil. Castor oil is recommended to accelerate hair growth. When mixed with pracaxi oil, piqui oil will enhance curly hair.
If your scalp is oily, use a vegetable oil based on organic jojoba like the one from Typology. For a touch of freshness, add a few drops of rosemary essential oil. Nothing nourishes your hair in depth like coconut oil. In case your scalp is irritated, apply a mixture of touloucouna oil and chaulmoogra oil.
How to apply your hair oil?
Whether it's to repair, hydrate, or nourish your mane, the application of a hair oil can be done in several ways:
· As an oil bath or pre-shampoo treatment
Hair oil can serve as a pre-shampoo treatment. To do this:
1. Pour the hair oil into your hands before spreading it on the ends and length of your hair;
2. Gently massage each strand to allow the hair oil to penetrate into the hair fiber;
3. Wrap your hair in a clear plastic film, followed by a towel for approximately half an hour;
4. Proceed with a gentle shampoo, then rinse with clear water.
· As a daily hair styling treatment
Used as a styling treatment, hair oil helps to nourish and hydrate the ends and lengths of your hair. The application is as follows:
1. Pour a few drops of oil into the palm of your hands;
2. Rub them before running your fingers through the length of your hair like a comb. This will help distribute the treatment evenly throughout your hair.
· As a shampoo
If you prefer not to use hair oil as a daily styling treatment, mix it with your shampoo. At Typology, we recommend adding a few drops of organic jojoba vegetable oil to the 10-ingredient shampoo to enhance and maintain your hair.
· As a conditioner
A few drops of hair oil can alone serve as a conditioner. After letting it sit for a few minutes, rinse with clear water. Don't hesitate to add a few drops of hair oil to your regular conditioner for a satisfactory result.